Just finished new GBC color for my daughter

[Released: 1998] As suggested by the name, features a color screen. It is slightly thicker and taller than the Game Boy Pocket, which is a redesigned Game Boy released in 1996. As with the original Game Boy, it has an 8-bit processor and the custom Zilog Z80 central processing unit.

/gbColor
Bustin' Moves

Just finished new GBC color for my daughter

Post by /gbColor »

Other than using the wrong length screws on the board causing the new case to get those annoying dots (doh), the build was a success.
Used the backlit screen from Handheld Legends. Very easy install, no soldering needed. It included a foam spacer for screen/board spacing that was too thick, ended up slicing it in half thickness-wise and using a bit of kapton tape to insuate instead. Start to finish, maybe 20 minutes.
Quality of the screen seems solid. Not quite as bright as my other GBC that has a Freckle Shack screen, but the price/ease of installation may make it worth it (I didn't do the Freckle Shack install, so not 100% in what is involved in that). Plus, the screen include a glass lens that it resized for the slightly smaller than stock screen.

Cost:
New shell: $14.49
Buttons: $1.99
Silicone button pads: $2.19 [turned out I didn't need; ones that came with it were still in good shape]
Backlit screen: $53.99
Used GBC from ebay: $42.39 (shipped)
Total: $115.05
https://preview.redd.it/ck03aa4t5za41.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&7f83ea18

submitted by /u/fauxgt4
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Game Boy Color Forum”