Just got a ntsc/u version 1 dc, have some questions

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

Just got a ntsc/u version 1 dc, have some questions

Post by /dreamcast »

Hi all, I just rejoin the dc world. I said rejoin because 19 yrs ago I used to have one and play it for a while. Then I borrowed to a friend and the whole console together with the games vanished. Haven't make up the mind to get another one until now. I have some questions

1. First thing I used the composite (3rd party one included in the ebay buy) to connect to by hdtv. The quality is horrendous. I see statics, I see a pink bar keep rolling up and up like this in the wrong region or something, yet sound is alright. I can expect the resolution is probably bad since its 240p back in those times, but I didn't think it's that bad. Did i grab a lemon in ebay? Or the curlpit is the cable ( since its 3rd party)? Or simply I should only hook this to a crt?
  2. I tested on a backup and it worked. I burnt with alcohol 120, and it's a cdi. I forgot the whole thing, but back in that time I do burnt backup to play. In those day, do you need a boot disc to play? Like a loader? I remember something about dummy files but I forgot whether that's for dc or PSP or ps2. Do you just straight burnt cdi and it will work even for Japanese games? No region lock? What about cheats? Is there some gameshark equivalent for dc?
Update: where does bleemcast fit in in the history of dc hacking? We dont need it anymore?

1. I see that gdi is bigger than a CD. Would I burn to a DVD to play or gdi simply is impossible to play using disc? What are the trade off of a cdi vs gsi for the same game? I heard about 900mb CD, but I think back at that time I was only using 700mb CD and i dont remember there were any problems. But again back in those day internet was not fast so I dont remember I was getting a lot of games from the web. Probably just a few I like.
  2. Is there any tutorial web sites for starter, about the whole dc scene, like hacks, backup playing and burning, homebrew, and gdemu/sdcard things etc. I heard there are also new homebrew games since I was away but I haven't dig that deep yet.
  3. Since we are in the modern days now I do want some info regarding the gdemu (I heard is expensive but it better than the cheap sdcard fron serial solution) and also some info in VGA box or hdmi cable such.
Thank you very much in advance!!

submitted by /u/wwywong
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”