Disk Drive or HDD failing?

[Released: 2006] The PS3 was the first console to use Blu-ray Disc as its primary storage medium. In September 2009 the updated PlayStation 3 Slim, was released. A further refined Super Slim design was also released.

/p3
Corporate

Disk Drive or HDD failing?

Post by /p3 »

Hello everyone, I recently decided to make my PS3 Super Slim operational again in order to replay Final Fantasy XIII, but today I noticed a rather particular problem:

Every time I start FFXIII from the disk, after the "Square-Enix" logo, it freezes upon the opening video starts, before actually getting to the main menu. Then, when I try to exit the game, the console emits three "Beeps" and freezes completely, forcing me to manually do a hard reset.

I thought the problem was the disc and decided to test it on my other PS3 (this one is Slim though). Initially, the console refused to read it, and the disk drive made a strange ticking noise, but ejecting it and reinserting it seems to have solved the problem, and the game launches normally without any problems whatsoever.

Returning to the Super Slim, I therefore thought that the problem was precisely the disk drive, as the games downloaded from the PSN (like Red Dead Redemption) start without problems. I then tested two other discs (Dante's Inferno and Saints Row 2), and they started without problems. After those, I tested Killzone 2 and, despite suspiciously long loading times before starting a Skirmish game, it started normally and ran smoothly. Finally, I tested Bioshock Infinite and, after a good 5-10 minutes of loading with the "Irrational Games" logo flashing on screen, I managed to get to the main menu. Upon exiting the game, however, I experienced the same problem as FFXIII (three beeps, followed this time not by a hard freeze, but by the automatic restart of the console).

All this makes me wonder: since only some games give me this problem and exclusively on the Super Slim, is this likely a symptom of the inexorable failure of my internal hard drive?
submitted by /u/KazeC01
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/1 ... d_failing/
/p3

Return to “PlayStation 3 Forum”