Question about GPIO Expansion boards

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Question about GPIO Expansion boards

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hi guys! I have been trying to do research on two similar products with the same purpose of allowing multiple uses of the GPIO pins on my raspberry pi 4 B using an extension, but I am having a lot of trouble understanding concepts about them because they're not explained very clearly.

The two items I am referring to here are the 1.) Stack HAT Raspberry pi I/O Expansion Shield Onboard 5 Sets 2x20 Connector to Directly Connect Multiple Expansion Functional Boards (waveshare store on amazon) and 2.) pHAT Stack – Fully Assembled Kit (by Pimoroni)

I am designing an escape room for my family and friends and I want to use something like one of these products I listed to be able to hook up a huge number of sensors and RGB lights, speakers, light matrices, keypads and cameras all to a raspberry pi.

Most of my escape room will consist of offline and non-electrical props and challenges. But I want the final challenges to involve electronics, and I really need to be able to have a large variety of things attached to the GPIO pins. I don't know whether everything I want will be compatible because they might use the same pins?

Some questions I had included the following: 1.) How can I figure out which sensors and other components I usually attach to my breadboard will be compatible with what pins I want to use? I sat there is a planning site from Pimoroni but I don't see a way to compare with sensors attached instead of hats? 2.) What's a HAT, what's a pHAT and whats a shield? I am confused on this. 3.) Are the two products listed identical or does one have different function from the other. I tried to research but I honestly cannot tell :( 4.) If I got a second raspberry pi 4 B and wanted to have one communicate with the other, would they still communicate normally with these extensions attached and would I be able to have the sensors and components and everything sync or communicate between the two raspberry pi's with the extensions and everything attached?

Sorry if these are bad questions, I just don't understand this stuff yet, please help!!
submitted by /u/IndependentSpeck
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... on_boards/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”