DC modded Kinect V2 having 0V across GND and Pin 10?

[Released: 2013] Moving away from its predecessor's PowerPC-based architecture, the Xbox One marks a shift back to the x86 architecture used in the original Xbox; it features an AMD Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) built around the x86-64 instruction set.

/xboxone
Corporate

DC modded Kinect V2 having 0V across GND and Pin 10?

Post by /xboxone »

Hey everyone, sorry for the separate post on this, but since there's a chance that I might not be the only one facing this (very specific) issue and this helps the post being indexed by Google, I hope it's okay to make an exception on this, as there's nothing covering this problem yet on the internet.

Backstory: As the title says, I, like many others, have modded my original Xbox One Kinect to work with the Xbox One S and PCs. When I first did the mod around three years ago, I directly soldered a 12V 2A PSU to GND and Pin 10, as most tutorials tell you to. This worked fine for some time, but then, I started facing the first issue, with my Kinect intermittently turning on and off - however, I've had this issue before when using the Kinect with my OG Xbox One, so I thought whatever. One day however, when connected to my Windows 10 PC, my Kinect suddenly turned off, and had never powered up again since.
Since I need my Kinect again for a project, I grabbed it out of the junk drawer and gave it my best shot at repairing it.
And this is where I've hit a roadblock.

Thinking that the PSU has just gone bad, I've replaced it with a DC jack, which I wanted to do anyways, and tried many different known good PSUs, which all showed close 12V on my multimeter - nothing.
Continuity was there on both GND and Pin 10. However, when I measured the voltages across those two pins with the PSU plugged in, it showed 0.00V. Thinking there might be a short circuit somewhere, I quickly unplugged the PSU from the Kinect and measured the voltages on the plug again, as it must have turned off if there was one. But, it still showed the previous 12V.
After searching endlessly on Google, I came across people claiming that their broken Kinects could all be fixed by replacing a blown fuse, which seems to be a fairly common culprit when it comes to dead Kinects. So, I opened up my Kinect again and - sure enough, the fuse was blown. As I don't know where to find a replacement here, for testing purposes, I just cut the fuse off, soldered the tiny bit of excess wire together, plugged it back in, checked continuity, both at the plug and the PCB solder joints and then armed power - still nothing, and still 0V across both pins.
Then, sanity check - I took the entire Kinect apart and re-assembled it, so that I could make sure that there aren't any loose connections anywhere inside which might be the culprit. At this point, I also checked all the diodes on the PCB, of which all seem to be working. And since I was at it, I re-soldered the pins just for good measure (no, the red wire isn't touching pin 9, everything's only touching what it should, yes, the soldering job doesn't look the best, but it's in fact done properly and don't worry, the previous one actually looked better, but at this point I've been sitting here for 4 hours trying out everything that's possible and I'm kinda getting tired). Then, final continuity check, and - still the same issue.
I've also checked the fan, which is also listed as a common point of failure (however that should only lead to thermal shutdowns and not preventing the start-up altogether AFAIK), I've tested mine on 5V USB power and, surprise surprise, it too works absolutely fine, and to be honest, I can't remember any problems with the fan back when it still worked.

At this point, my knowledge really does end, and I couldn't find anyone describing the same issue on the internet, so I'm hoping that you guys can help me with your swarm knowledge. I'm thanking everyone for their help in advance, maybe we can get this thing working again together. ?

In case you still want to yell at me for my soldering skills, here's a pic of the soldering and the jack placement: https://imgur.com/a/cWZLhQz

submitted by /u/MasterChickenYT
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Xbox One Forum”