I am planning on pulling out my original gbc and refurbishing and modding it, any recommendations?

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

I am planning on pulling out my original gbc and refurbishing and modding it, any recommendations?

Post by /gameboy »

I want to ideally keep it very close to the original, with maybe a few updates that really improve playing quality.
I will take it apart and clean the housing and buttons with dish soap and warm water I figure.
Clean the pads with rubbing alcohol, or should I just replace these? Will they still feel like an original but new one if replaced? What's the best brand for this?
Is there any reason to replace the light?
Should I replace the screen? Is there any kind of real improvement I could get here that feels retro, but improves the experience? Even if not recommended, what should I use if I need to replace it for any issues I find? Recommended screen protectors?
I would like to get a backlight as the improvement is worth the less accurate specs, any recommendations for the best one that works with the original case?
What is the best rechargeable battery mod? Preferably one I could build into the console and plug in to charge without pulling it out.
Should I upgrade the speaker/amplifier, or does this make it sound not original enough? Recommended product?
I figure I will buy an everdrive as well.
Any other recommendations? Let me know!

submitted by /u/eudaimonism93
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Game Boy Forum”