PSA: Nintendo disables the YouTube app, but keep it just in case?

[Released: 2011] The 3DS is similar to the DS, but is capable of projecting stereoscopic 3D effects without the use of 3D glasses or additional accessories. A redesigned "XL" version of the console was also released.

/3ds
Corporate

PSA: Nintendo disables the YouTube app, but keep it just in case?

Post by /3ds »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_N0TwOOxw
As of today, the Error Code 002-0110 appears after launching the app. Unlike, say, Nintendo Zone, the app can still be launched, but when connected to the Internet, this error will endlessly show up. Other errors (003-0299 if wireless is off, or codes like 003-4101 or 006-0113 if turned off midway) will show up by toggling wireless, or using a bad connection.
I am disappointed because while the app was buggy, I figured out a fix in my video above. I believe that "ptracking" files made the app crash, and by toggling wireless at the right time, these files wouldn't load. The Nintendo 3DS and 2DS downloaded the entire 3GP video (also used by low-end phones) before "ptracking" files; by ignoring the latter files, the app played videos perfectly. Nintendo now forcibly disables the app, unlike Opera still working on the Wii, DS and DSi.
YouTube has constant controversy (demonetization, censorship, YouTube Kids, etc.) and I believe this indirectly left the 3DS and 2DS app neglected. If YouTube simply coded the app to ignore "ptracking", I believe it would work perfectly.
On a more positive note, Nintendo Video still offers 164 free videos for the 3DS family in the Nintendo eShop. The quality is better than the YouTube app, and there's even 3D available! Netflix on the 3DS still works generally well in North America for the time being. I prefer the XL systems for video. It's sad that YouTube is gone, except for "New" systems that play MP4 in the built-in browser, but offer little more features compared to original systems. I'm still keeping the YouTube app on my 3DS, hoping that a community patch reactivates it one day. Do you miss the app? What are your thoughts?

submitted by /u/DanceDanceNorth
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “3DS Forum”