What RPGs on the Mega Drive are the most similar to final fantasy III (IV) and chrono trigger or more action RPGs like Secret

[Released: 1988] The Sega Genesis was Sega's most successful console; though Sega has never released a total sales figure quote. Several add-ons were created including the Sega CD and Sega 32X which extended its capabilities.

/genesis
Corporate

What RPGs on the Mega Drive are the most similar to final fantasy III (IV) and chrono trigger or more action RPGs like Secret

Post by /genesis »

Hi guys, Long time lurker and i'm slowly building up my mega drive collection. One thing I'm lacking however is any RPGs similar to the title. I have played phantasy star IV on the Nintendo online service (for the opening act, an hour or so) but I found it comparatively lacking when considering the atmosphere of FFIII and its SNES peers. The open world is flat like Zelda II without the mode 7 scrolling, the colours make everything look dark and the control scheme seems much more limited. I absolutely love the anime style portrait above text and in scenes though. Should I stick with phantasy star iv and hope for the best or is there alternatives that I may enjoy more? My favourite 2D JRPGs are FFIII, Golden Sun, Earthbound etc. but I know that the mega drive has a decent selection of it's own. Any recommendations would be great. I want to play through emulation first (legitimately of course) and then buy the cartridge second if feasible.

submitted by /u/Ok_Kaleidoscope_2178
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Genesis Forum”