Neo Geo MVS troubleshooting

Open discussion for everything SNK, Playmore, Neo Geo, and Aruze.

/neogeo
Corporate

Neo Geo MVS troubleshooting

Post by /neogeo »

I just got ahold of a non-working Neo Geo MVS cabinet very cheap, and want some troubleshooting advice.
It is a 2 slot system with 1 game plugged in. Turning it on, I only get the hum of the monitor turning on and no game sound. Monitor is blank, with a faint glow along the bottom edge.
I have messed around in arcade machines before, and while I am definitely a noob, I know to not touch the very spicy monitor tube, and I know the basic components that appear in all arcade machines. (Power supply, control panel, game board, monitor chassis, etc.)
There is one wire I don't recognise not plugged in and just laying loose. It has a 12 pin connector on one side and the other side has a 6 pin connector (2 wires cut) and a 5 pin connector. The wire is very short, about 5 inches long.
There are two switches I do not recognize, a red button inside underneath the center of the control panel, and a metal switch behind the control panel on left side of cabinet. I realise neither will probably make it magically work, but thought it might help to know what they do.
I imagine there will be corrosion issues, as it was in a non-climate controlled shed in Florida. There is definitely some rust on the shroud around the board and the power supply.
Took me a while to figure out how to get inside it as the back is solid. The control panel slides forward and most of the components are on a shelf that slides out. Is there any way into the back? There's a ton of junk In the bottom I can't reach, possibly manuals for games or the system itself. Thankfully no evidence of bugs or rats.
I have heard that the board can be taken out and hooked to a normal TV for testing some way?
Anyways, just looking for what advice I could get getting started. If anybody has a link to service manuals that would be a huge help.

submitted by /u/ChroniclerOfLegends
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “General Discussion”