How safe is my project?

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

How safe is my project?

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Our water usage is way too high so we think water is constantly draining somewhere. My parents planned an entire 10 day vacation so we can monitor the water usage gauge in the basement before and after the vacation. I want to monitor the water usage more closely while we're gone.
[h=1]Setup[/h] To do this I've come up with the following setup:
  • A raspberry pi 4 is on for 10 days in the basement and takes a picture every hour of the gauge.
  • The pi is connected to a cheap super tiny camera with a USB cable. The camera needs no other power source. I think this is the least safe part of the setup.
  • The Pi is powered by a good power supply that is approved by the raspberry pi foundation.
  • Everything is on a 1.5m tall platform so even if there's a 2cm flood which has never happened before all the electronics remain dry.
  • To power the thing I'm using a single extention cord that will come from upstairs. I don't know how I'll run the cable yet. I'll probably tie it to shelves so it doesn't touch the ground.
  • I'm currently running the project non stop while we're at home to see if anything bad happens.
My parents think the pi will short and catch on fire if left alone. To make them more at ease I'll run an nginx server on the pi that hosts a website where we can see the live temps and pictures. I showed them that my Pi (not overclocked but with a heatsink and fan) has low CPU temps (45°C) but this scared them more. "Wow that's hot! What if it goes up even more?"
Is my project safe? How can I improve safety? I suggested asking online for a second opinion. They agreed because they know I've gotten a lot of help before with electronics on reddit.

submitted by /u/Zwartekop
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”