Nightmare Circus - had so much promise - but I'd have made a LOT of changes to it

[Released: 1988] The Sega Genesis was Sega's most successful console; though Sega has never released a total sales figure quote. Several add-ons were created including the Sega CD and Sega 32X which extended its capabilities.

/genesis
Corporate

Nightmare Circus - had so much promise - but I'd have made a LOT of changes to it

Post by /genesis »

It's like halfway through development, the team simply stopped giving a f*** and just left it half done.
It's a shame because on the surface it was a really impressive concept.
I'd have made some changes to make it a LOT less irritating:

1. For the maze level, as you kill enemies and collect souls, you get subtle clues as to where you must go to progress in the maze. Also, as you progress, the environment gets progressively more decayed and the enemies scarier.
  2. For the roller coaster level, I would have had it without ANY enemies and that you are riding a roller-coaster all the time - but it is your mission to hit certain levers during the ride to end up at the right location - but be careful, for if you hit the wrong lever(s), you will collide with another cart and burn in flames.
  3. For the burning ferris wheel, I would have made it that you can freeze the wheel by defeating enemies, thus slowing down your descent into the flames at the bottom. If you defeat enough enemies, the flames will be extinguished. -> for the next scene where you are in the dodgem arena, I would have made it that you must face a series of intimidating bosses, before finally facing the clown boss.
  4. For the giant level with the 2 possessed dolls, I would have made it that flames slowly begin rising from the ground, and you must climb to escape them. Then, you must bash down certain tiles in order to find the secret powers to make the flames stop and recede. -> for the next part, with the maze full of flesh eating worms, I would have changed the whole layout of this level to make it more aesthetically pleasing, + I would have made it that you can actually fight the worms, and as you defeat more and more enemies, you develop a power that lets you enter the vents the worms are in and quickly make your way to the exit.

submitted by /u/agwoodliffe
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Genesis Forum”