Mark 3 w/ 6 Button Genesis Controller Problem

[Released: 1985] One of the most unusual features of the Sega Master System is its dual media inputs: one cartridge slot and one card slot. The card slot accepted small cards about the size of a credit card.

/markiiisystem
Bustin' Moves

Mark 3 w/ 6 Button Genesis Controller Problem

Post by /markiiisystem »

Hi, I got a Mark 3 about 2 years ago but ti didn't come with controllers. I still currently don't have controllers for it, nor any Master System controllers either. All I have is a 6 button Genesis controller (Retrobit brand, thinking about getting an official especially if it will help), so I tried it on the system 2 years ago and thought it didn't work.
When I tried it today, turns out I was wrong, it works but it's strange in the way it works. Up and Down work fine but the Start button and A are apparently the 1 and 2 buttons for some reason, Left and Right don't seem to work at all and none of the other buttons do either.
The controller was in full working order when I last tried it on my Genesis. I looked into this before and was told that the 6 button controller would work fine on the Master System (no word on the Mark 3) and that all I'd have to do is hold the mode button upon powering on the console. I tired that too, same result.
So now I'm just confused. Does the 6 button controller work on a Mark 3? Does holding Mode do anything on a Master System or Mark 3? Do the Retrobit controllers have some sort of problem the official controllers don't when attempting this?
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
PS: On a side note, the Mark 3 was RGB modded before I got it, though looking at the PCB it seems the mod doesn't mess with the controller ports so this shouldn't be an issue. Though one odd thing about this system is that when I got it it had this salty smell to it that was overpowering, eventually I cleaned the PCB and got it off but had to let it air out for a while, a part of me thinks the person forgot to clean the board after installing the mod but I'm not sure, even then it's only like 5-ish wires so why would the whole board smell like this?

submitted by /u/satoshi64
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Master System Forum”