Advice on protecting controller button contacts

A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer or customized computer system that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device (a television, monitor, etc.) to display a video game.

/RetroGaming
Bustin' Moves

Advice on protecting controller button contacts

Post by /RetroGaming »

So, i was surprised to see that there really wasn't a major console modding reddit, so i believe this is the next best place for this question since just about everyone here has experience with cleaning controllers. I own a hyperkin smartboy and i took some time yesterday to fix some issues i was having with the buttons. after fixing the button and dpad feel, i found that the buttons were unresponsive and took a lot of pressure to activate. i deep cleaned the bare copper button contacts and the conductive pads under the silicone domes. This helped a lot, but there is still some work to be done when i next have the chance. Now, i dont quite understand why they tarnished so fast being that the smart boy has only been on the market for a couple years, and i've only had mine for about 6 months, not seeing much use. now that i fixed the button feel, i really want to utilize it more often, but i dont want to have to pop it open every 6 months to clean the contacts, the plastic busses surly wont be able to handle that maintenance cycle for very long. Does anyone know what i can do to protect the copper contacts? i noticed that in modern controllers theres this black conductive coating on the contacts, anyone know what that is?
Hopefully it was just like finger grease from the manufacturing, but i did use it quite a bit when i got it and it worked fine.
And i guess the problem could be the conductive pads under the silicone domes, but i'll double check that.

submitted by /u/PotatoRecord
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Other Console Forum”