Modding a Super Famicom cartridge slot to fit USA cartridges. Help/Tips/Advice?

[Released: 1990] The SNES was the best-selling console of the 16-bit era despite its relatively late start and the fierce competition it faced. The console was able to run some of the first three-dimensional video games on consoles, beginning with Star Fox.

/snes
Corporate

Modding a Super Famicom cartridge slot to fit USA cartridges. Help/Tips/Advice?

Post by /snes »

So.

I've wanted a SFC for a very long time. My birthday is coming up next month, and I'm very much considering buying one for a decent price. I like the actual console design a lot more than the original SNES, the multiple colors are really cool, and I'm a big fan of Japanese culture in general.

The problem is, I'd like to play my SNES cartridges in it. I don't really want to just leave the top off of the system because I want it to look cool, and I don't really want a simple pin converter that sticks out of the top of the system either. What I'd really like to do is buy a replacement top for the SFC (so that I'm not damaging the original), and cut/sand the cartridge slot so that it will fit the cartridges. I'm also going to replace the cartridge slot door on the SFC with a SNES cartridge door, so that the open space is covered. I'd also like to dye the light grey SNES door a darker grey, like the SFC door.

I've looked up tear downs of both of the systems, and the slot mechanism/spring seems to work exactly the same. I also don't really think the cutting and sanding down of the slot will be very complicated. I also have all the tools to do so already. And, I've worked with small electronics and plastics enough to be comfortable working on it all.

My real question is, can anyone offer any advice or tips regarding this process? Has anyone modded a SNES or SFC shell? Can anyone think of any unforeseen circumstances that might mess up my process? Pretty much any ideas or comments of worth would be super helpful, and I would greatly appreciate it! If all goes well, or the process is interesting at all, I'd like to make a video of the the whole process, any problems I ran into doing it, along with the results.

The one thing I'm definitely not looking for is people attempting to dissuade me from doing this, or incredibly negative comments regarding why I'd like to do it. I can't even begin to tell you how much I don't care.

Anything helpful would be awesome, thank you!

submitted by /u/panty-panda
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Super Nintendo Forum”