Nintendo DS Compatibility DraStically improved: Mic Mode Activate! DOS/MSX/etc Saves Fixed! NEO-GEO CD now has .wav support!

[Released: 2017] A successor to the NES Classic Edition, this remake comes with twenty-one Super NES titles pre-installed, including the official release of Star Fox 2.

/classicSNESmini
Bustin' Moves

Nintendo DS Compatibility DraStically improved: Mic Mode Activate! DOS/MSX/etc Saves Fixed! NEO-GEO CD now has .wav support!

Post by /classicSNESmini »

4-1-19
Release link at way bottom of Notes
Hello again, everyone! Here we are again for yet another Update! Bullet Points, Release Notes, Videos, Closing Statement, and all that jazz! And, April Fool's Day does not always have to be about pranks! Instead, enjoy some non-prank related stuff! Some truly incredible additions, this time around!
As far as any drama is concerned, for those of you aware of some of what has been going on...just do your best to coexist with everyone you interact with on a daily basis. That is as simple as it gets! Now, then...

• Patton!
  • RoadMap to the Xtreme Core Set!
  • Nintendo DS DraStically better compatibility! Mic Mode Activate!
  • Speaking of Nintendo DS Cheats!
  • Screw that Nintendo DS touch screen! D Pad Mode Activate!
  • RetroBoot for Playstation Classic!
  • Compression Support for PSC Cores with AutoBleem/RetroBoot!
  • This also means!:)
  • DOS, MSX, EasyRPG, etc, saves fixed for NESC/SNESC!
  • The Coolest Cat On The Block! Introducing the VRC7 Chip Mode Activate!
  • SNES9x 2018 Updated!
  • NEO-GEO CD now has .wav support!
  • Dreamcast Updated, yet again!
  • We could all use "Little Magic"!:)
  • I'm all 'bout that mods, 'bout that source, no trouble!:)
  • WIP!
  • The Videos!:)
Patton!
Patton, whom many of you also follow on YouTube, formally apologized to me (in a 15 minute long video, for that matter) for general mean-spiritedness that had been directed towards me out of a pass misunderstanding. It takes guts to put yourself out there in front of thousands of people, and truly and genuinely and passionately say one is sorry. It was a very heartfelt apology. I graciously accepted it. And, he was ecstatic that I did so. You will likely see us commenting on one another's videos in playful fashion, in the future! Thanks again, Patton!
P.S. Patton...Pssst! Anytime someone leaves you a negative comment on your videos, or elsewhere...use that as humorous fodder for when you have blank cards that need filled in for Cards Against Humanity!!! Negative people can be a veritable goldmine! In all seriousness, now...moving on...to the Real Stuff! Drama Be Gone!...
RoadMap to the Xtreme Core Set!
To make things less confusing, since we are not contending with not only the Nintendo Classics...but, also the Playstation Classic...I have separated things, so that once you go into the Release, you will now have:

• _km_NESC-SNESC = Nintendo Classics Core Set
  • _km_PS CLASSIC = Playstation Classic Core Set
  • _km_Xtras = Additional Tools and Xtras to help you with both Core Sets!
There will also be a RoadMap ReadMe!, that will help you know where to go in the Release, with a few tips, to boot! Hope this makes things easier!
I have also archived prior 2017-2018 Release Notes into Xtras/Releases to clean things up.
Nintendo DS DraStically better compatibility! Mic Mode Activate!
This is only for NESC/SNESC for now. It is still WIP for the Playstation Classic, with Swingflip spearheading that side of things. But, like with PS1 Games on PSC, which nearly all run quite nicely in HD...the same holds true for DS games on PSC with the Update! If all goes well, that variant should be Released in the very near future!
Initially, when we were working with the DraStic Nintendo DS Emulator last year, many popular games were found to not work. We tried to ascertain whether it was a bug of the Emulator transition to the Mini, or another cause. My best assumption, at the time, was that it was due to them being microphone oriented games. Low and behold, this proved to be true. These games tended to crash upon the "mic check". But, no more, as they now work! The overall and cumulative collaboration and efforts of Exophase, Xperia, madmonkey, DanTheMan827 (huge appreciation for helping on the Mini NES/SNES side of things!), and myself now brings forth this Updated Release, with microphone support! Remember, this does not mean you will have full functionality or playability with "all" of the affected games...due to the obvious nature of there not truly being a presence of a microphone!
Command Lines are:

• /bin/drastic Standard Mode
  • /bin/drastic-mic Accuracy Mode
Note: /bin/drastic will have better performance for most games. It is best recommended to use /bin/drastic-mic for games that would normally not work due to the failed mic check. Additionally, HD resolution will ONLY work well with Standard Mode. Keep it off for Accuracy Mode. General Mic Game compatibility list below Control Mapping Section.
In-Game Saves should be compatible between Standard/Accuracy; Suspends not 100%
Control Mapping
The Nintendo DS buttons are mapped 1:1 to the SNES controller.
The hinge can be "closed" by turning off the classic with the power switch or button (it won't shut down)
Classic controller in port 1 - Move the stylus with the left analog - Press the stylus with ZL - Toggle full-screen with ZR
Any controller in port 2 - Move the stylus with the d-pad - Press the stylus with A - Toggle fullscreen with start - Swap screens with select - Toggle horizontal/vertical screen arrangement with B
Configuration Menu
You can access the drastic configuration menu by holding the reset button for more than 1 second.
Reset button would apply to down+select shortcut, home button, reset on console, itself!
Mic Games include (Not all will be fully functional due to absence of a true microphone)
Games that require slash controls will also not necessarily be fully playable. But, you can use the Cheats to bypass some choke points, in this respect.

• Alex Rider: Stormbreaker
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
  • Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters
  • Brain Age: More Training in Minutes a Day!
  • Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day!
  • Braz Ponys 2
  • Cooking Mama
  • Dark Void Zero
  • Dinosaur King
  • Dolphin Island
  • EA Playground
  • Feel the Magic XY/XX
  • Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour: Decades
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  • Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • Mario Party DS
  • Metronome
  • Monster Rancher DS
  • Naruto: Ninja Council 3
  • Ninjatown
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
  • Pokemon Black/White
  • Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
  • Ratatouille: Food Frenzy
  • Rock Band 3
  • The Rub Rabbits!
  • Shaun the Sheep
  • The Sims 2: Apartment Pets
  • Soul Bubbles
  • Spectrobes: Beyond The Portals
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • Yoshi Touch & Go
  • Warioware: Touched!
  • The World Ends with You
  • Zendoku
Speaking of Nintendo DS Cheats!
Applies mainly to Mini NES/SNES, for the moment. I previously released 2 hmods, to account for Standard/Xtreme Cheats, which were 13.1/36 MB install sizes. DeadSkullzJr and nl255 were quite helpful in the Cheats respect. This time around, Cheats will automatically install with the DraStic HMOD. So, there is no further need for the aforementioned Cheat HMODs for DraStic. Not only that, thanks to the great help of DanTheMan827, the install size is greatly reduced! This goes a long way towards maintaining that precious internal NAND flash memory!
Screw that Nintendo DS touch screen! D Pad Mode Activate!
Nintendo had a cardinal rule for developers, that they should try to impliment at least some sort of touch screen controls in about every game. This definitely hurt many, that would have otherwise have been so much better without touch or stylus controls, such Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, and so on! In Xtras/PERM-CHEATS-PATCHING, are patches for these 3 games, to negate that annoyance! No more Okami style drawing for DoS! And, no dragging and dropping Link all over the place in his two adventures. Enjoy the patches! Be sure to check out all of the other patches in there, too. I will add more in the future.
RetroBoot for Playstation Classic!
RetroBoot Release should be posted within a short duration, time frame wise, as this Release!
Genderbent, of the Playstation Classic Scene, has offered up an excellent alternative to AutoBleem and BleemSync. which outright ignores the Main UI, and strictly focuses on RetroArch Usage. I have been extensively testing and trying out 4 different Modifications, related to the PS Classic...these being:

• RetroBoot - Focuses on RetroArch, not Carousel Main UI, whatsoever.
  • BleemSync - Has support for RetroArch and Main UI
  • AutoBleem - Also has support for RetroArch and Main UI
  • PSpwned - Focuses mainly on simple, ease of use, Main UI usage (Not Released!)
Each of these has their perks and negatives. I currently have 4 flash drives, one for each of them. I enjoy using them all, randomly, and testing out different perimeters. Suffice to say, PS Classic Modding is still very much in its infancy, and "Only Time Will Tell" how much potentially more awesome it will become. We still have room for better Saturn, DraStic, even possibly Gamecube/Wii, to a lesser extent. I could see some Wii Wads, such as Castlevania, Contra, Gradius Rebirth, slogging along at a well enough pace to be cool enough to enjoy!
In any case, Genderbent has asked me for permission to add stuff from my Releases into RetroBoot. I gave him the A OK. And, I will keep in communication with him each concurrent Release, henceforth. More information and details can be found within the PS CLASSIC folder. Enjoy the myriad of options at your disposal to give the best bang for your buck, PS Classic wise! Speaking of which!...
Compression Support for PSC Cores with AutoBleem/RetroBoot!
This is an experimental change
Huge personal thanks to madmonkey for his original and amazing work with compression, which we have already made very practical use of on the NESC/SNESC, to utilize and install Cores at 75 percent smaller size! Within the last 2 releases, I have been paying close attention to how long it generally takes you all to install the Modification and Cores. Compression isn't as much a necessity on PSC as it is on NESC/SNESC. Obviously, on the latter, we had to contend with a very limited 200 MB, give or take, for SNESC; 300 MB, give or take, for NESC! This, quite frankly, made things pretty rough!
In any case, we thought it would be a wonderful way to speed up the install process by having Cores at 75 percent smaller size on PSC, as well. Genderbent and madmonkey were quite gracious and helpful in this entire process. You can grab Genderbent's latest RetroBoot Release, today, as well...with full on Compression Support. Not only that, Cores should load faster, too, with the help of another boost that is in place. My main "injector" installer, which focuses on primary AutoBleem integration, also has this same Compression Support. BleemSync should be implimenting this support, as well.
Since it utilizes different initial paths (/media/bleemsync/opt/retroarch, versus /media/retroarch, I didn't want to overstep my boundaries and modify the integrity of how they have things set up. They can personally add the Core Compression Support, as they deem fit. In the meantime, I will leave the previous "injector" from 3-16-19 on the Mega NZ link, in PS CLASSIC, for bleemsync use! Thanks again madmonkey and Genderbent for going way beyond the call of duty to help impliment this greatness for many to enjoy!
If anyone notices any differences, lag, pauses, freezes, in any specific Cores, with this change...by all means, let me know. I will react and update accordingly! But, in testing, everything was running great!
This also means!:)
RetroArch has been updated for PSC, and many bugs are fixed up. Thanks to Genderbent for helping clean things up! You are less likely to get the black screen. Instead, you will sometimes get kicked to RetroArch, not even the Modification Splash Screen. This is great, as the PSC limiter is now becoming less of a nuisance, Modification wise! It will still need to be accounted for, in the future, though! Ideally, we will want to be able to use the back of the PSC with an OTG, or such, to bypass the limiter entirely!
DOS, MSX, EasyRPG, etc, saves fixed for NESC/SNESC!
This has been an annoyance for quite some time. I give tremendous thanks to Beylie, gamecleaner, for helping test things. And, as per usual, absolute gratitude to DanTheMan827 for helping this idea come to fruition! Saves will be pushed to /var/saves instead of inside the CLV Folders! In the past, any saves made with DOS, MSX, EasyRPG, and similarly minded Cores, would be deleted upon a resynch/reexport! This is one of the best additions we have had, to date! I will be covering more regarding DOS/MSX, etc, in the near future...including DOS-CD games, and so on. I additionally added Xtras/MAPPING, a recommended mappings ReadMe! This will be updated to account for stuff like general DOS games...and, of course Metal Gear for MSX, etc! The way to map these is in the videos below. Personal thanks to fr500 and r-type for their help on the original keyboard to controller mapping that I pushed for nearly 2 years+ ago that greatly improved ability to play these, formerly and nearly impossible to play without keyboard, games!!
The Coolest Cat On The Block! Introducing the VRC7 Chip Mode Activate!
There are many chips used in various NES games. Many of you may already be familiar with the incredible sound in the Japanese version of Akumajou Densetsu AKA Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. It is significantly better than the US version due to its inclusion of an incredible VRC6 Chip!
The pinnacle achievement of NES sound, in my personal opinion, is the usage of VRC7 in the non-US Released Sci-Fi RPG made by none other than Konami...Lagrange Point. In Xtras/PERM-CHEATS-PATCHING, is a translation patch for it. And, if you update RetroArch Xtreme for NESC/SNESC...the chip will be active with ALL 3 NES Cores!
/bin/fceumm /bin/nestopia /bin/quicknes
The sound is in close approximation to the Yamaha YM2413, with a very nice subset of instrument sounds that would normally be thought of as near impossible to output from an NES game at the time! Personal thanks to retro-wertz, rdanbrook, and NukeYKT for this amazing magic! You can see it in action at the tail end of my, "How Xtreme is Xtreme Video", below!
SNES9x 2018 Updated!
WWF Wrestlemania: Arcade fixes (thanks for heads up on this, Ruby Eye Shabranigdu!), and so on...Bumped up to version 1.60! Enjoy!
NEO-GEO CD now has .wav support!
You can now run .iso+.flac/ogg/and wav. Yay! Personal thanks to fabrice-martinez for this great fix, and BsLeNuL for helping test!
Dreamcast Updated, yet again!
Personal thanks to Autechre and Flyinghead for continuing to do some wonderful magic with the Accuracy portion of Dreamcast Emulation! Reicast Accuracy, /reicast/accuracy for those on Mini NES/SNES, has been updated with a whole plethora of bug fixes, optimizations, and accuracy adjustments. Have fun!
**We could all use "Little Magic"!:)
Great gem of a puzzle game, Little Magic, I have added SNES Cheats for...Infinite Lives Activate! Thanks for the recommendation on this great game that I have never seen or heard of before, ItzMikeOmg!
I'm all 'bout that mods, 'bout that source, no trouble!:)
Over the last few years, I have been working with the Mini NES/SNES/PSC. I have directly communicated and collaborated with many, many people. This all ties together in helping get a better experience for all. I vested a personal interest in many things related to the Cores AKA Emulators. Initially, I worked with Cluster and pcm720, who were both great guys. I helped troubleshoot PC side issues with hakchi2 and Mini NES bugs, as well. Some great ground was covered as far as cleaning up the memory. C8 errors were pretty rampant in the beginning! Sooo much better now! Those C8 errors were a different breed, and would make a system unbootable, until you hooked it back up to Hakchi2! I then, of course, moved onto working with the Cores and RetroArch, since there was simply so much to do with both! Nearly unlimited options, at the time, it seemed!
Not too long after, I ended up getting into a random little debate with someone over whether or not 7z compression worked with a specific Core. Someone argued it did. I said it didn't. Then, a third person got involved, who just so happened to be madmonkey, hehe. The 7z that I referred to not working, was with specific variants of FBA 2012, them being CPS1, CPS2, NEO-GEO, whereas, it DID work with normal FBA 2012. But, that is pretty much how we met. We started private chatting, communicating about a few things and ideas. We bsed about how it would be great to be able to play those MSU-1 Games on the Nintendo Classics! Rock N'Roll Racing, specifically! Soon enough, madmonkey made it happen...And, I posted "this" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxAjQ_7QHmg
The initial process was not exactly user friendly. So, I came up with a little word association to make it easier to digest...This being:
Seriously = Stock Kernel Don't = Dump Kernel
U = Unpack Kernel
F'ing = Flash Kernel Remember = Rebuild Kernel Me? = Memboot
It worked out, quite well...Most people had a much easier time remembering the steps that way! And, we all got our Rock N'Roll Racing...Which I also did this Tutorial about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOVwPWEOiUo
Both Cluster and Madmonkey told me the stuff I was putting together RetroArch and Core wise was better than what was currently available...And, that I should set-up on Github. And, that is how that happened:)
I was also already in contact with many other people in the Scene (In thank you section way above), as well as DanTheMan827, exceptional guy that I have had the pleasure of many hours of great conversation and collaboration with. He is a stand-up guy, and is quite neutral and fair. He does not hesitate to give me fair criticism, of which I always take seriously and to heart. Many of them are in the Thank You section at the very top of this page! Things just kept getting better and better..one milestone after another! Hakchi2 CE, PSP, Dreamcast, Slow DS, Fast DS, Wi-Fi, and so on! So much more to come!
CompCom and Swingflip came into play around the same time as the beginning of Hakchi2 CE and SNESC. Both were very ambitious and passionate as far as how they wanted the Scene to go, moving forward. They wanted to reach a broader audience, and make it an All-In-One solution. Obviously, with so many people involved, creative differences were inevitable and unavoidable. Yes, the drama has been real, at times! It has been this way in pretty much every Scene over the years, including MAME! But, it has most certainly been a very fun ride, nonetheless! I wouldn't see it any other way, nor change anything:) And, I am looking forward to seeing how much further we can go! There will always be creative differences. But, in the end, every one of you will have better overall enjoyment of your Mini Classics, as a result!
This now ties into the Source. As I have been posting Releases since 2016, essentially...pre-Github, too...I have been in constant contact with the community, as a whole. I would get an incredible amount of feedback related to anything I posted. "This game doesn't work, there is a bug with this, etc." This lead to closer collaboration with many great people in Libretro. Literally a good 200+ people that have all been amazing with helping fix things up for all Platforms concerned! fr500 was absolutely amazing in helping on one of my earliest gripes...the lack of keyboard to controller mapping support! At first, he jokingly said..."just use a keyboard on PC..It works great!:) But, low and behold, sure enough, after R-Type helped with a generic mapper for C64, which I posted in the Release...And, I did a showcase video of...here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBn9MkHUA_E
It was a huge hit amongst End Users...And, he took it to the next level...implimenting an even better method of doing it into BlueMSX, and so on. This became an official change in RetroArch, to coincide with the specific PC Emulator Cores! It all worked out so amazingly well! The result of this change was seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkkNaZ6WnI
What it all comes down to, essentially, is this...The most important aspect in any Scene, is the End User...you! Your feedback means everything as far as getting all the ducks lined in a row, so to speak...and accounted for! This great collaboration between End User, myself, and others in the Scene has lead to literally over 100 vast improvements, fixes, and so on...that all have been able to benefit from! Let's keep the pure awesomeness going! I am here to help you run, jump, and stomp some goombas, after all! Let us all just coexist, as mentioned in the way top of the Release Notes:) I try to be nice and polite and respectful with all I come into contact with, even if some decidedly like to be more mean spirited at times!
WIP
Some good stuff in the works, already, for Next Release...including Multi-Switching of Disks alternative method, a long lost relic system from my past, which now works on NESC/SNESC/PSC! This will be revealed, soon. Many will have never heard of it! But, I have mentioned it several times in videos:)
The Videos!:)
SNES Classic - Nintendo DS - DraStically better Compatibility - Mic Mode Activate!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKYz9QeQArY
Playstation Classic - How Xtreme is Xtreme? Let's Play Some Badass Games!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTnxk3bJKrY
SNES-NESC-PS Classic - Drumming Break Before Next Video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2X-EJZhJW4
Enjoy the Update! Til next time:)
Sincerely, KMFDManic!
Here ya go:)
https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases

submitted by /u/MDFMKanic
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “SNES Classic Edition Forum”