Was the original Sonic Adventure really as bad as the xbox port of it?

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

Was the original Sonic Adventure really as bad as the xbox port of it?

Post by /dreamcast »

So I've been playing Sonic Adventure on xbox one. Its supposed to be faithful port of the original DC launch game. The game that got perfect ten reviews from critics and got hailed as the SEGAs answer to SM64. Or even SM64 beater by some people who were clearly bit too deep in their herbal stocks..

And I'm finding the game absolutely dreadful. Camera is far worse than SM64 has. Controls are terrible. Combat sucks. Level design stinks and overall it feels like they did zero playtesting on the thing. I have the original SM64 on N64, and this Sonic Adventure, as it is on xbox, should not be even mentioned on the same day, its so far from the great (but not perfect) adventure SM64 is.

Visuals are ok tho.

So what I want to ask is; is the original Sonic Adventure really this bad, or is this just a terrible port where they messed the game up proper? Because I really cannot see how such a mess of a game could have received such rave reviews from hardened critics.

And no, this is not a troll, so easy on the flaming. I like Sonic, and have played, and liked, most of his games, and from that angle I have to say this game is the worst of them. Yes, even worse than Sonic the Hedgehog on xbox360 or Sonic Frontiers! Gasp!!!
submitted by /u/gamingdawn
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... as_bad_as/
/dreamcast

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”