Suggestions for first RSX reball attempt?

[Released: 2006] The PS3 was the first console to use Blu-ray Disc as its primary storage medium. In September 2009 the updated PlayStation 3 Slim, was released. A further refined Super Slim design was also released.

/p3
Corporate

Suggestions for first RSX reball attempt?

Post by /p3 »

Hi all, I've got a PS3 Slim with errors 3034, 4002 and 4401, so I decided to try and reball the RSX.

Console repair is my hobby but I have never done a reball before. I wanted to make this post to ask for suggestions since there is just too many things that may go wrong in the process, especially for a newbie like me.

Got all the required equipment for the job: T-8280 preheater, Quick 861DW hotair with 45mm square nozzle, thermocouples, flux, braid, solder balls, stencils, etc.

My main questions are:
  • To what temperature do I need to preheat the board first? Some sources say 160, some state 180 or even 200 °C.
  • After that, what temperature should I reach by adding the hotair? The lead free solder should melt at 220 °C but different sources say to heat it up to 230-250 °C.
  • What airflow to set? Some people suggest low airflow wile others say high.
  • What temps do I need to use while resoldering the RSX back with leaded balls?

I know that I need to bake the board to evaporate the moisture, which I'm going to do. But are there any other suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks for help!
submitted by /u/RubyRoid
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/1 ... l_attempt/
/p3

Return to “PlayStation 3 Forum”