Anyone know where I could buy an inexpensive replacement GDROM drive?

[Released: 1998] Born out of Sega's darkest hour to decide whether the company stays in the hardware business. Even though it didn't officially last long in the US, it was continued selling in Japan and spawned some great 2D Japanese shooters.

/dreamcast
Corporate

Anyone know where I could buy an inexpensive replacement GDROM drive?

Post by /dreamcast »

I have 3 Dreamcasts worth of parts, out of which 2 can be salvaged via GDEMUs. None of the 3 GDROM drives are working. Tweaking the laser pots cannot salvage them, they are very old and fully toasted.

I'd like a CD-reading Dreamcast to play the Bleemcast discs again, particularly MGS. Although the DC programming wizards have cracked the Bleemcast protection enough to burn them to CD-Rs, it has not been fully-cracked enough to run via GDEMU yet. Only the shitty Bleemcast beta can boot directly into PS1 games through GDEMU, not the retail GDEMU discs for MGS, Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3.

The (tested, working) GDROM drives I'm seeing on eBay are $70-$90. I might as well just buy a full console at those prices.

Do I have any other options for sourcing a working GDROM drive? or is this simply the reality of seeking a such a specific, propriety part only ever used in 1 device?
submitted by /u/Honkmaster
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... expensive/
/dreamcast

Return to “Dreamcast Forums”