External USB drive won't mount on reboot only

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

External USB drive won't mount on reboot only

Post by /RaspberryPi »

I have a powered 8TB 3.5-inch USB drive (Sabrent ‎EC-DFLT enclosure) attached to my Raspberry Pi 4. I'm trying to get openmediavault (OMV) and Plex going. I've had similar issues with an SSD. This is a fresh install of everything, everything is updated/upgraded.

The file system is ext4. I'm doing SMB and NFS shares, although that doesn't seem to matter, as this happens with no shares. Connected to the Pi is only Ethernet and the USB 3 drive. CanaKit with 3.5a power supply. Boot from SD card.

Everything seems awesome until I reboot the Raspberry Pi, and it times out on trying to mount the drive on boot. The activity indicator on the enclosure just flashes. It doesn't appear at all in OMV once it gives up and completes the boot. I tried the other USB 3 port, another plug, and as I mentioned, I had same issue with another drive. USB 3 seems to be running fine with 100+MB/sec transfers.
  • If I power cycle the drive only, I can mount it manually in OMV.
  • If I power cycle the drive and reboot it mounts automatically
  • If I shut down, power cycle the drive, and then power on the Raspberry Pi, it mounts automatically.

Is there a trick here to get this drive to mount when rebooting? I can work around, but would rather not have to spoon feed the setup.

Boot error message:

Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/yadda yada

Dependency failed for /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-yadda yada

Dependency failed for /export/share

Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by/uuid/yadda yada

The dmesg error gives me:

[ 18.697398] usb usb2-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

[ 18.697918] usb usb2-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

submitted by /u/stringfellow-hawke
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... boot_only/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”