Monitoring Multiple Networks on Raspberry Pi: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and 4G

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Monitoring Multiple Networks on Raspberry Pi: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and 4G

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hello !

I'm currently working on a project with my Raspberry Pi (model 4 and 3) where I have access to multiple networks: Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and a 4G dongle. I'm wondering if it's possible to monitor these networks simultaneously and have the Raspberry Pi automatically switch to an available network if one of them fails.

My setup involves using the Ethernet port for a stable wired connection, Wi-Fi for flexibility, and a 4G dongle as a backup connection when both Ethernet and Wi-Fi are unavailable. However, manually switching between networks can be difficult, especially when I'm not physically present near the Raspberry Pi.

I'm curious if anyone has experience or knowledge about implementing an automated network monitoring solution on a Raspberry Pi. Ideally, I would like to have a script or configuration that constantly checks the availability of each network and automatically switches to an alternative network if one of them goes down.

Some specific questions I have are:
  • Are there any existing tools or scripts that can help accomplish this network monitoring and switching functionality?
  • How can I detect network failures or loss of connectivity for each network interface?
  • Is it possible to prioritize the networks so that the Raspberry Pi switches to the next available network based on a predefined order?

I'm open to suggestions, recommendations, or any insights you may have regarding this topic. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!
submitted by /u/Quirky_Mammoth5415
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... pberry_pi/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”