GBA SP restarts after 1-2 hours

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

GBA SP restarts after 1-2 hours

Post by /gameboy »

Hi!
Done some heavy modding on my GBA SP. Unfortunately while doing this (when removing original crystal oscillator to install a hot swappable turbo mod) I accidentally losened the 2 small resistors and 2 small capacitors next to the original crystal. When reinstalling them they overheated, and became faulty (stuck as open it appears). These are marked R1, R2, C1, C2 on the schematic.
I have replaced them with close to same components, unfortunately I did not have an exact match. I have 4k ohm resistor instead for 2.2k. 100k ohm instead or 160k (it says 1.5M in schematic, but seems to be 160k when comparing to another GBA SP) 22pf cap instead of 27pf 44pf cap instead of 34pf
Initially after breaking them the screen would turn into artifacts, and remain that way. Even a restart stayed this way, until a long time had passed.
Now when replacing them the games run fine (Pokemon ruby). But after 1-2 hours the screen goes white, the gameboy attempts to restart 1-2 times (for a split second), then succesfully restarts.
Thoughts?

submitted by /u/eligri
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Game Boy Forum”