Possible to Make a DIY NTSC/PAL Adapter?

[Released: 1996] The console's design was revealed to the public for the first time in late Spring 1994. The N64 console was frequently marketed as the world's first 64-bit gaming system and sold 500,000 units in North America during its first four months.

/n64
Corporate

Possible to Make a DIY NTSC/PAL Adapter?

Post by /n64 »

Let's get the basics out of the way. The cartridge shape adapters only work between NTSC Japanese consoles and NTSC US consoles. It doesn't make PAL games work too. The CIC security chip and PIF chip prevent this.
I know the Passport Plus III exists, but it's kinda janky and expensive. I also know the UltraPIF exists, but it's expensive, hard to install, and hard to find. I understand that NTSC consoles can play (some) PAL games using the Passport Plus III, so I'm not concerned about the console's different color encoding or anything like that.
I am looking to make a DIY adapter using UltraCIC chips and switches to set the region/CIC model. I believe there existed a multi-CIC cart designed specifically for the Doctor V64, but I couldn't get a look inside to see how it works, nor can I find it again. Additionally, I can't find anything on this topic after 2015, when the CIC was actually cracked. (https://youtu.be/HwEdqAb2l50)
Here's how I think an NTSC/PAL adapter could be made using a Hyperkin Region Adapter:
  • Open a Hyperkin Region Adapter for the passthrough board
  • Cut the traces for pins 43(CIC_CLK/NMI) and 18(CIC_DATA)
  • Short pins 43 and 18 on the cartridge side to ground
  • Solder an UltraCIC to pins 20(/RESET), 19(N64_CLOCK), VCC, GND, and pins 43 and 18 going to the N64. (Program Ultra CIC with model compatible with import game)
  • (Optional) Modify UltraCIC to become any model of CIC using switches
The CIC shares 2 lines with the EEPROM: the N64-CLK and /RESET lines, so I must leave those intact. All together, I estimate a one-off device would cost ~$50. This is how the Passport works too if I understand correctly; it uses the CIC from the donor cart instead of the import.
So, would this work? Do I need additional logic to keep the cartridge CIC from locking the system or disabling the EEPROM through the /RESET line? Are there any resources from people who have already tried to make this type of thing?

submitted by /u/QuantumKraken
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Nintendo 64 Forum”