Game Boy Pocket draining batteries while off

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

Game Boy Pocket draining batteries while off

Post by /gameboy »

Hi,
I got a broken Game Boy Pocket on eBay a while back that I've slowly been restoring. The problem was a dead fuse, so I replaced the fuse and it worked fine. However, I have noticed since then that it drains the AAA batteries even while it's off.
I tested this yesterday. I put two new batteries in, which I measured at approximately 1.6 volts, and the Pocket turned on. Later in the day, I checked again, and despite the console having spent almost the entire day off, the batteries were down to 1.3 volts each.
After some research, I figured it was a dirty power switch issue, so I opened that up and cleaned it out (which I needed to do anyway, it was being finicky). I tested it again, it worked, so I turned it off and left it for 24 hours. Unfortunately, it turned out that the power switch was not the issue, as it kept draining the batteries, and now they're at just 0.3 volts each, nowhere near enough to turn the console on.
I use the same brand of batteries (Varta Alkaline) in multiple devices, including other Game Boys, and none have this same issue. I'm assuming there's some strange current leakage somewhere, but where it could be going I have no idea. As far as I know, the Pocket is unmodified, apart from the replacement fuse, and there is no obvious damage to the motherboard. The board itself is model MGB-CPU-01, so without the LED.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

submitted by /u/megaminxwin
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Game Boy Forum”