Cost/Value of a Complete CIB NA PS1 Library

[Released: 1994] Sony entered into an agreement with Nintendo to develop a CD-ROM attachment, for the Super Nintendo. Due to contractual problems it was never released, and instead, a modified version was introduced by Sony called the PlayStation.

/playstation
Corporate

Cost/Value of a Complete CIB NA PS1 Library

Post by /playstation »

Image My NES calc activity (https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting ... _complete/) was fun so here are some similar stats for the NA PS1 library for CIB games.
Here's what I did:
Same as for my NES calcs but for NA CIB PS1 games (see other post for description)
Assumptions:
No hardware (i.e. consoles, controllers), no unreleased games, no homebrew, no demo disks (e.g., jampack), no collector's editions or greatest hits (where original versions exist), no variants/misprints (e.g. FFVII). I used the Long Box version of the games as they were typically more expensive than the later released "square" versions. Total number of NA games for this calc was determined to be 1308 using my assumptions
Calculations/methods:
Same as for my NES report plus a few comparisons :)
Results:
The total value of a CIB PS1 NA collection is approximately $40,300, for an average price of just over $30 per game. This is approximately $9,000 less than a complete NTSC NES collection of loose carts (including Stadium Events) or $10,000 more if you're not counting SE.
The most expensive PS1 game is Misadventures of Tron Bonne (MoTB) at just above $570 while the cheapest game is Ceasar's Palace 2000 at around $2.75. MoTB costs as much as the 112 cheapest games combined. It holds 1.4% of the value of the total collection.
The 152 most expensive games (11.5% of a complete collection) hold over 50% of the total value of a collection. In other words, the value of these 152 games equals the value all the other 1156 games.
The 418 most expensive games (e.g. those more expensive than ~$24) hold 75% of the value.
https://preview.redd.it/9hap8ev1x9s91.j ... p&5bfcd9c4
Discussion:
Going in to this calc, I knew nothing about collecting PS1 games. I personally have maybe 10 and nothing more expensive than $150. It was interesting to see that there are 9 NES games (loose) that are essentially as expensive or more than the most expensive CIB PS1 game. I would imagine that rarity isn't as much of an issue for PS1 (or disc based games in general) games as it was for NES games.
There are over 900 CIB PS1 games that can be had for under $25, with 681 of those costing between under $15. There are 82 games which cost over $100, with 13 of those costing over $250. Only 1 of those cost more than $500. When comparing the amount and cost of their games, it was found that it is more cost affordable to collect CIB PS1 games than collecting loose NES. It is almost $10,000 cheaper and there are essentially double the games.
Conclusion:
When comparing the amount and cost of the games, it was determined that it is more cost affordable to collect CIB PS1 games than to collect loose NES games. The complete collection is almost $10,000 cheaper (when including Stadium Events) and there are essentially twice as many games in the library, not to mention that the games considered were CIB. While values for NES CIB games were not used in this analysis, it is assumed that they would increase all costs dramatically and would only serve to reinforce the idea that collecting PS1 games is a more cost affordable alternative.
I originally thought that an NES loose collection would be more expensive than a PS1 loose collection, but i had no idea that it is $10,000 more than a CIB collection. The relatively low costs of PS1 games when compared to NES carts seem to make it an ideal entry point for those interested in collecting games. The large number of games in the library might turn off some collectors though as 1300 is no small feat.

submitted by /u/MHoggs17
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “PlayStation 1 Forum”