Super Famicom - Video Interference When Using Cartridge Extender

[Released: 1990] The SNES was the best-selling console of the 16-bit era despite its relatively late start and the fierce competition it faced. The console was able to run some of the first three-dimensional video games on consoles, beginning with Star Fox.

/snes
Corporate

Super Famicom - Video Interference When Using Cartridge Extender

Post by /snes »

I recently got a cartridge extender for my Super Famicom so I'd be able to play American Super Nintendo games on there without having to do terrible things to the console's shell. I'm experiencing an issue that I can best describe as seeing a badly tuned RF connection when using the cartridge extender. This is the style of extender I'm using:
https://i.imgur.com/udS8h20.jpeg
(not my image)
I'm not sure if the issue though is with the age of the SFC itself. It is a SHVC-001, and I haven't opened it up to determine the motherboard revision. When looking around at other images of corruption/garbled graphics on the SFC/SNES that point to a chip failure, I'm not entirely sure if mine falls under that or not. I'll note that I've been using this SFC for a few weeks now for playtimes extending over an hour, and haven't noticed anything terrible. It's seemingly only when the cart extender is used.
My setup is:
  • Super Famicom
  • S Video cables (third party, Pelican, iirc. They work across all Nintendo consoles I've owned). I route this through a RetroScaler 2x (Retrotink knock off)
  • SFC official power supply (I also tried a Sega Genesis Model 1 power supply)
Using Panel de Pon as an example, this is the game's title screen without the extender between the cartridge and the system. I'm using the official SFC power supply for this test, plugged into a surge bar:
https://imgur.com/TBC9Euw
With the extender between the cartridge and the system:
https://imgur.com/6jZJTIO'
(I presently do not have the cart door taped down, and I cannot remember if the picture flickering in/out occurred like this with the scaler in use)
Things I tried:
  • Different games (all had similar interference-looking issues)
  • Taping down the cartridge door, since I wasn't sure if the pressure being applied was causing some kind of issue (I have a replacement shell on the way to put the board in)
  • Switching between a Sega Genesis Model 1 PSU and the official
  • Plugging the PSU directly into the wall
  • I own an Analogue SuperNT, and the games load and play fine on there with the extender in the middle. However, I don't know if this functions as a good test compared to a real SNES/SFC
I'm going to try it on my SNES in a few days to see if it's also an issue on there (my original SNES hasn't shown any signs of failure at all, fwiw, last I used it some odd months ago; I don't have it at my current residence).
Is this a sign of chip death of some kind? Like the extender is showing the symptoms somehow? Or is the extender possibly at fault? Is there any repository of images showing what happens when specific chips on the SFC/SNES die? (like PPU, VRAM, etc)
Thanks!

submitted by /u/BigRobotBil
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Super Nintendo Forum”