Just bought a 7501 for restoration. S-Video vs SCART for a beginner

[Released: 1994] Sony entered into an agreement with Nintendo to develop a CD-ROM attachment, for the Super Nintendo. Due to contractual problems it was never released, and instead, a modified version was introduced by Sony called the PlayStation.

/playstation
Corporate

Just bought a 7501 for restoration. S-Video vs SCART for a beginner

Post by /playstation »

Just getting in to PSX restoration, bought an SCPH-7501 as it seemed most people agreed it had the best general mix of features.
From what I'm reading it sounds like composite is the worst video-out you can have, followed by S-Video in the middle and then RGB (SCART) at the top. I want good video output but I also don't want to spend $200+ to squeeze out every last drop of video performance.
So I want to ask, for a beginner level collector, am I okay just going with S-video for now and then upgrading later if I want? Or is it really worth it to just go balls to the wall right off the bat and do an AV-multi -> SCART -> HDMI setup?
Or is there something completely different I should try? The amount of solutions out there to optimize the PS1 is dizzying, especially being new to the ecosystem. I haven't even begun to dig into the modchip scene yet...

submitted by /u/Strangetimer
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “PlayStation 1 Forum”