Connecting to SKR mini e3 V3: UART vs USB

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Connecting to SKR mini e3 V3: UART vs USB

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Is there any pro / con to using USB vs serial UART to connect the two boards. I currently have USB set up but have some spare stepper cables I could recycle into a UART cable. If there is a detriment I wouldn't, but there is a strong benefit of switching with clearing out exposed wiring. The SKR USB connection is on the front, and on the Pi side, hooking up my webcam, the SKR, and the pi power cable requires 2 flats have wiring. I also feel like having access to the Pi power cable is probably a good thing. I can hide practically all the wiring but the SKR USB must stick out the front.
FWIW I tried looking this comparison up and only found people saying "why would you bother?" and stuff like that. One poster did comment on something about USB being more efficient at data transfer but I'm unsure if that even matters in this case.
As an aside...my Mainsail is reporting "Your Pi's voltage has dropped below 4.95v during this current runtime!" or something to that effect (not sure on the exact number reported). I'm running a RPi3B+ powered with a wall adapter I bought from Adafruit specifically for the Pi. Should I care?

submitted by /u/Tsiphon
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”