Analogue Mega SG - aspect ratio and display settings?

[Released: 1988] The Sega Genesis was Sega's most successful console; though Sega has never released a total sales figure quote. Several add-ons were created including the Sega CD and Sega 32X which extended its capabilities.

/genesis
Corporate

Analogue Mega SG - aspect ratio and display settings?

Post by /genesis »

I have 2 different gaming areas, one with RGB supporting systems and my OSSC and one with HDMI connections.
Both are on widescreen LCD panels.
For Genesis games, i have 2 consoles. An original MK1 Genesis VA6 connected to OSSC, and an Analogue Mega SG.
When I play on the real hardware, my ossc is set with optimal timing profiles for both of the common game resolutions and slightly tuned for the 480i content (sonic the hedgehog 2, split screen multiplayer). And circles look like circles. Bodies look like bodies.
When I play on the analog, it's like it's in 1:1 square pixel mode rather than 4:3, or something like that. Circles are slightly too tall. Characters in streets of rage look tall and thin. Etc.
Now, i know there are 2 different aspects ratios. 320x224 being most common, 256x240 is the second most common. Neither is actually 4:3, but 320x224 is much closer to 4:3 than it is 1:1. And i admit 256x240 should probably be considered 1:1
So a few things i want to know about the analogue.
  1. How does it account for the original screen resolutions and aspect ratios? It seems to me like it treats everything as 256x240, even though most games are 320x224.
  2. Do I need to change something to change the default ratio? How?
  3. Is there a way to set per game settings?
  4. Does Sonic 2 multiplayer look right to anyone? What did you have to do?

submitted by /u/lifeisasimulation-
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Genesis Forum”