PC-FX - Boundary Gate Audio Hum

The HuCard is a ROM cartridge in the form of a card, designed for NEC's PC-Engine and PC Engine SuperGrafx video game consoles, which premiered in 1987 and 1989, respectively. In the United States, where marketed as the TurboGrafx-16, the HuCard is alternately called the TurboChip.

/turboG16
Bustin' Moves

PC-FX - Boundary Gate Audio Hum

Post by /turboG16 »

I recently picked up a PC-FX with a few games, but I'm experiencing some pretty bad audio hum with just Boundary Gate. This is especially noticeable when there's no music (like when you enter or exit a building) and in the quieter songs.
I have the PC-FX hooked up to a RetroTink, but I also tried a different pair of cables and even tried connecting the audio cables to some headphones (bypassing the Tink and my TV) and still had the same problem. Everything is also hooked up to the same power strip so I don't think there's a ground loop or anything like that.
The other games I have (Power Dolls and Fire Woman Matoigumi) don't seem to have any audio issues, or if they do, it's nowhere near as noticeable. I know old analogue consoles all have some level of hum, which I can hear if I turn up the volume loud enough on the PC-FX start screen, but the hum with Boundary Gate is far more pronounced, even at low volumes.
Was this just a noisy game or is there some issue with my PC-FX, like some bad capacitors (which must be 25 years old at this point)? I'm wondering why there's just a problem with this game in particular though.

submitted by /u/The124C41
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “TurboChip/HuCard Forum”