My funnyplaying IPS screen review.

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

My funnyplaying IPS screen review.

Post by /gameboy »

So like many others I got my 35$ screen today. The installation was fun. I was a bit surprised I had to do so much cutting but I think the way I got it seated is pretty perfect. I don't think people realize that you have to cut the opening in the plastic frame on the bottom and the right to account for the size of the image on the new screen. I did this with a crafting knife and it took forever and was very dangerous. I think the best way would be to use a dremel and then some sandpaper but I didn't have that.
I had a replacement glass lens that I bought off ebay in addition to the one that came with the IPS kit. I compared the two and the one that came with the IPS kit is not only offset to the right but it's also bigger. I imagine this is because the IPS screen is 4x as many pixels as the original GBA and the PPI isn't the same. So if you're thinking about using a lens that isn't offset, you're going to be covering a bit of the screen which is a problem for GBA games in my opinion. Honestly you don't notice the offset.
Sometimes with these aftermarket screens you have to use a sharpie on the frame so that you don't see the color of the housing underneath the lens when looking at it at an angle. I had to do this.
Wiring was extremely strait forward just plug the ribbon cable and attach the adapter thing to the IPS panel. No soldering required for this unless you use some sort of brightness regulator which I did not.
So the biggest gripe I have and I'm sure a lot of others are having and will have is the diagonal artifacting. I was seeing videos trying to show it off but I couldn't see it. I got this picture of a screen transition from white to black that shows it off pretty well. I'm hoping this is a problem with the adapter and something someone could fix in the future (good luck ben) because the display is just amazing when not displaying contrasty transitions.

submitted by /u/RS_Skywalker
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “Game Boy Forum”