PC Engine GT / TurboExpress: Are they fun to play on?

[Released: 1990] The TurboExpress is a handheld video game console by NEC, released in late 1990 in Japan and the United States. It is essentially a portable version of the TurboGrafx-16 home console that came two to three years earlier, and was released as the PC Engine GT in Japan.

/turboG16
Bustin' Moves

PC Engine GT / TurboExpress: Are they fun to play on?

Post by /turboG16 »

I am a huge fan of handheld gaming systems and so I have been toying with the idea of buying a PC Engine GT / TurboExpress. I am a gamer and a collector, so I’d like to own original hardware, but I could only justify the expense if the system actually saw some play.
So my question is: how viable is playing on a GT or TE, especially shooters? I’m not talking battery life, but rather things like the quality of the original screen. Is it big, clear and fast enough to actually play a later stage in a shooter like R-Type (not that I’ve ever made it past the 4th stage of R-Type on 1 credit)? Is a screen mod obligatory for playing or just a visual improvement?
How is the build quality in general, do the buttons stay crisp for a while or do they wear out quickly? Anything else you would say makes a GT/TE not viable as a gaming system (again, I am aware of the short battery life and the failing capacitors)?
TL/DR: Is a GT/TurboExpress just a collector’s item or can you actually play fast paced games on them?

submitted by /u/sicbo86
[link] [comments]Image

More...

Return to “TurboExpress/PC Engine GT/LT Forum”