Would a generic DAC work on a raspberry pi? (Sorry, noob question)

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Would a generic DAC work on a raspberry pi? (Sorry, noob question)

Post by /RaspberryPi »

So, I'm trying to do some audio recording on the pi, but there's noise both on playback and recording (USB mic). The noise specifically is a pulsating clicking, 3 clicking sounds, every second or so. This is a pretty quiet sound, but its noticeable when you are at 100% volume , I'd just like to avoid it, honestly. I've tried it on both the raspberry pi 2 and 3 and it is the same thing. The sound card on the pi isn't really filtered, afaik. I actually tried connecting the mic to a USB hub to try and create some distance but it didn't work, and the exact same noise is heard on the 3mm output jack and audio input, so I think its the internal sound card being the source of the interference.

Now, there are raspberry pi DACs, but I'm wondering if any old generic DAC such as this (Fosi Audio K5 Pro) would work. It says it works with PC/Mac/PS5, so that tells me it should be pretty compatible. It also has a mic input, many of which don't. I don't really want to have to waste money on a pi-only device and also have to take my pi out of the case for the pi-hat DACs.

Edit: I'm going to leave my question up because i still think its valid and honestly might still buy it, but it was interference from my seat warming pad cable lol. Audio interference is continually a problem for me no matter what audio device however, so I might still buy one.
submitted by /u/FirstGonkEmpire
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... _pi_sorry/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”