Ethernet kills wifi in raspi OS bookworm

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Ethernet kills wifi in raspi OS bookworm

Post by /RaspberryPi »

ok this is gonna sound strange and i know most would find my set-up odd but please bear with me.

i have a raspi 4 modal b, and the way i have it setup is that i would ssh into it using an static IP with having a ethernet wire connected directly to my laptop and the pi.

after a long journey of fixing other issues (long story), i decided its best if i just use rpi and start a new.

So after a lot of googling hell even using copilot AI to help me look (cringe I know) i was able to get to a point where i have a static IP that i can ssh into. and now we get to the issue.

the way i give wifi to my pi and it might sound strange to most but its worked for me for a number of years and is reliable, and that was was just turning on my laptops hotspot (i take my pi and laptop with me as i use it at college). so before i reflashed my ip this would work flawlessly, but now i can only do one. when my ethernet cable is plugged in i can still connect to my hotspot but it wont have internet, and when i disconnect it, it has internet again (I know this cus i am able to still use vnc viewer via the hostname raspberrypi.local).

with all that being said, a bit more context when i got my raspi is came with a img with all the networking all setup so it just worked i tried to research on my own as to how it all worked but both going from buster to bookworm has changed stuff about the raspi networking that i don't get and paired with my already terrible networking skill, long story short im lucky to even get this far.
(some may as why not just keep using hostname, and that's a good question but there just a lot of reason i want to count. doing it this way. and i do not see why doing the ethernet/wlan together isn't possible)
any and all help i can get would be massively appreciated
submitted by /u/udthegamer
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... _bookworm/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”