Popeye 2 is a fun, cute game with a few minor flaws

[Released: 1989] The Game Boy is Nintendo's second handheld system following the Game & Watch series. Despite many other technologically superior handheld consoles introduced during its lifetime, the Game Boy was a tremendous success.

/gameboy
Corporate

Popeye 2 is a fun, cute game with a few minor flaws

Post by /gameboy »

I just played through Popeye 2 for the first time.

https://imgur.com/a/BgQzno0

It's a fun little run and jump platformer, similar to Super Mario Land and Batman: The Video Game.

The Good:
  • The game looks great. All of the characters look like they do in the cartoons. The game has some nice little cutscenes. I love Popeye's one beefy arm.
  • The controls are good.
  • The game is a good length, not too long, not too short.
  • The stages have some branching paths to prevent the player from getting bored on multiple playthroughs. There's also some good variety to the stages, some vertical stages, some underwater.
  • The music is generally good, with good renditions of Popeye's theme.
  • The bosses are ridiculously hilarious. Popeye fights a dragon and a giant snow man.

The Bad:
  • The controls are just a little clunky. Popeye can get "stuck" in a wall for a split second. Stuff like that. But nothing that really made me want to throw the Game Boy or anything. Ultimately it was fine, just had to get used to it.
  • There's a few sections with slowdown, when there's a lot happening on the screen at once. Also I don't think the game is running at 60 fps.
  • Some of the stages do that thing where if you make a mistake during a challenging section, you don't die, but you fall back down and have to repeat a previous sections. Sometimes I was doing this over and over and over again.
  • The hit detection with the bosses is really clunky. I beat all of them by either tanking the damage, or standing back and cheesing them.
  • THERE'S THIS ONE BACKGROUND MUSIC SONG. You'll know it when you hear it. The rest of the soundtrack is nice but, my goodness, this one song... it's rough.

It's funny, my "The Good" section above seems so short and simple because, that's pretty much how this game is: short and simple. It doesn't really do anything crazy new, but that's ok. It's more of what I enjoy: jumping and shooting. I recommend it if you're looking for more Super Mario Land. :)
submitted by /u/HaikuLubber
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/commen ... nor_flaws/
/gameboy

Return to “Game Boy Forum”