What's the point of a Raspberry Pi above $50?

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

What's the point of a Raspberry Pi above $50?

Post by /RaspberryPi »

I've got to vent and hopefully shake some sense into this situation. What on earth is going on with the Raspberry Pi prices soaring above $50? Isn't the whole essence of Raspberry Pi to be an affordable, accessible tool for learning and experimentation? The core principle was to democratize technology, not to create a luxury item!

I remember the excitement around the Raspberry Pi's debut – a compact, functional computer that won't burn a hole in your wallet. It was a game-changer for hobbyists, educators, and students. But now? These prices are a slap in the face to the very community that embraced and championed the Pi.

Let's talk about the real impact here. Are we drifting away from the original vision? Are we okay with this shift towards exclusivity? More importantly, what does this mean for future innovators who might be priced out of experimenting with technology?

I get it, inflation and supply chain issues are real. Shouldn't we question when the cost begins to contradict the purpose?

This isn't just about the price tag. It's about the principle. It's about ensuring that the Raspberry Pi remains a beacon of accessible technology, not just another gadget that only some can afford.

What are your thoughts on the rising costs?
submitted by /u/Kinocci
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... _above_50/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”