A Return to Retrovolt Arcade

A video game arcade cabinet, also known as a video arcade machine or video coin-op, is the housing within which a video arcade game's hardware resides. Most cabinets designed since the 1990's conform to the JAMMA wiring standard.

The Arcade Blogger
Too Cool for Ghouls

A Return to Retrovolt Arcade

Post by The Arcade Blogger »

I should start with an apology for the lack of posts here in recent weeks. The summer has been a busy time, but we can put that right as we head towards the end of the year.

One of the things I did during August was a ten day trip to California, taking in a few bits of classic arcade activity along the way. I’ll post these up on the blog in the weeks ahead, starting with a review of this independent local arcade in a small town on the outskirts of Los Angeles, just off the main highway between LA and Palm Springs.

I’ve visited Retrovolt Arcade in Calimesa previously, and figured as I was passing that way again, I should pop in to check out how things have changed since my last time there.

Covid proved to be a tough time for Retrovolt’s owner Bob. With no income coming in during lockdown, the rent still needed paying and this resulted in, he tells me, the sale of some inventory to meet the obligations of the business. But having now come out the other side, the arcade is now doing better than ever, and plans are afoot to seek out new premises to expand the footprint of Retrovolt still further.

And none of this comes as a surprise. What I found was a great space, a positive vibe and some great machines, curated really well to provide an almost perfect arcade experience for locals and visitors to Calimesa alike. Here’s some pictures taking during my visit:

Located in a Strip Mall in Calimesa, Retrovolt arcade is a welcoming sight. There are a couple of cool bars and restaurants next door when you’re ready for a break from playing
The arcade is open from Thursday to Sunday each day, and customers can pay by the hour, or purchase an all-day pass.
Retrovolt is pretty expansive, and has a great array of videogames, ranging from the early 80s through to the early 2000’s
Games are organised and grouped typically by decade, and include solid shooters and beat em ups
There’s something here for all arcade goers, including more modern games like Guitar Hero and The Punisher. The inclusion of a couple of multi-game machines is a smart move. If you’re looking for a particular game, you’re likely to be able to play it here
This Bomb Jack was particularly nice to play
But its pinball that stands out at Retrovolt. Bob makes it a priority to site the latest Stern releases and pepper those with some classic tables:

It was great to be able to rick up to the latest Foo Fighters pinball, as well as Cactus Canyon
Just a couple of tables were down (this one had literally just developed a fault) and Bob is quick to grab the toolbox and repair any faults to ensure everything is up and running
Star Trek, Revenge from Mars, Pirates of the Caribbean and Tommy were just some of the classic pins you can expect to play at Retrovolt
Another shot from the top floor showing the breadth of cabinets available to play. With everything on freeplay once you’re in, there’s plenty here to keep you occupied for a few hours
A quick nod to the decor and lighting which really adds to the vibe of the place
Pinball playfields mounted on the walls is a nice touch
The bespoke artwork adds to the cool vibe of this place
To get a proper feel of the place, check out this recent walkthrough video of the arcade:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KipgQtERr ... ransparent
Retrovolt Arcade walkthough
It was great to see Bob again, and reassuring to see that even in this small California town, the classic arcade can still survive and thrive!

Your author and owner of Retrovolt, Bob
You can watch a recent interview with Bob here to get more insight into how the arcade came to be and Bo’s plans for the future:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/igCoUzpKf ... ransparent
Interview with Bob from Retrovolt Arcade
So pop in to Retrovolt if you’re in the area. Its a 90 minute drive out of Los Angeles and a really cool place to spend a couple of hours. I’ll be a regular visitor for sure! Highly recommended!

Lookout for the Retrovolt logo projected onto the sidewalk when you arrive
Plan your visit and get more details here.

Thanks for visiting the blog this week!

Tony

Subscribe

Source: https://arcadeblogger.com/2023/09/16/a- ... lt-arcade/
The Arcade Blogger

Return to “Arcade Cabinet Forum”