Upgraded my PS3 (CFW) HDD to a 1TB SSD

[Released: 2006] The PS3 was the first console to use Blu-ray Disc as its primary storage medium. In September 2009 the updated PlayStation 3 Slim, was released. A further refined Super Slim design was also released.

/p3
Corporate

Upgraded my PS3 (CFW) HDD to a 1TB SSD

Post by /p3 »

My PS3 (slim) has CFW 4.82 Rebug. I was afraid to actually do the upgrade because there's a lot of conflicting info online and tons of different firmwares. All my consoles are modded so I can't keep track of the modding caveats for everything. SSDs are super cheap now so I figured it's time. It was actually not difficult at all.
  • Verified all my games have a copy on my PC
  • Removed old HDD and put in the new SSD
  • Found a USB flash drive, formatted to FAT32. Nowadays you need a special application if you're on Windows because Windows won't format a large USB drive as FAT32. I found a copy of my current CFW online and copied it to the USB drive as \PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP
  • Power on the PS3. I actually had to try like 3 different USB flash drives until I found one that worked. All were FAT32 and had the correct file in the correct location, but I think the PS3 is picky. I also found a video on Youtube that said to try unplugging the controller right after hitting Start+Select to initiate the process.
  • Formatted SSD, let it install the PS3UPDAT file, reboot, crossed my fingers. It boot up just fine.
  • Found MultiMAN and Rebug Toolbox .PKG files online, copied them to my USB flash drive after deleting the \PS3\UPDATE folders.
  • Installed MultiMAN and Rebug Toolbox, FTP'd in from my PC using the Windows application Filezilla, and copied my games back in.

I tested one game to make sure it worked and it seems fine. Now I'm copying the rest of my games which is probably going to take the rest of the day, as the transfer rate is only around 15MBytes/sec and I have like 500gb of games to transfer.
submitted by /u/sodalimefizz
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/1 ... a_1tb_ssd/
/p3

Return to “PlayStation 3 Forum”