Why did arcade basketball stands become standard while soccer kick-into-net cabinets never did (despite the latter being

A video game arcade cabinet, also known as a video arcade machine or video coin-op, is the housing within which a video arcade game's hardware resides. Most cabinets designed since the 1990's conform to the JAMMA wiring standard.

/Arcade
Bustin' Moves

Why did arcade basketball stands become standard while soccer kick-into-net cabinets never did (despite the latter being

Post by /Arcade »

My bowling alley recently got a Minions arcade soccer kicker machine where there's a tiny Minion statue that moves around by by a motor or some other device under yet to attempt to block the ball from entering the goal net. Before COVID shut down my bowling alley for 3 years, we had a Kick It Jr game where there's no physical object blocking the net but there's a flat screen above the net and a goalie is in it. You score by hitting the ball into the net where the goalie on the screen fails to move in and thus misses the ball. My nearest arcade even has a "power kicking device" which has a cabinet with soccer themed art worker but you kick the ball and it measures the strength of your kick and its ltierally the only game related to soccer in that venue.

Where as practically anywhere that has an arcade room big enough to fit a bunch of games or is a proper arcade venue is guaranteed to have multiple basketball hoop shooting machine..... So I ask why are basketball shoot cabinets so ubiqitious in the arcade industry while games that try to give the soccer experience (esp the kick the ball into the net kind) are so rare to find? Despite soccer not only being far more popular than basketball but hands down no-questions most popular sport in the world? Even in places that are soccer to the point of riots over teams losing and gangs revolving around specific clubs are such big problems like Latin America and Europe don't have much soccer arcade redemption games while basketball stands remains practically everwhere there is an arcade including countries that don't have strong basketball cultures such as the UK! Why I must ask?
submitted by /u/CamelIllustrations
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/coinop/comment ... _standard/
/Arcade

Return to “Arcade Cabinet Forum”