Did pay-to-use karaoke machines in public places such as the indoor malls, bowling alleys, and arcades ever exist in Jap

A video game arcade cabinet, also known as a video arcade machine or video coin-op, is the housing within which a video arcade game's hardware resides. Most cabinets designed since the 1990's conform to the JAMMA wiring standard.

/Arcade
Bustin' Moves

Did pay-to-use karaoke machines in public places such as the indoor malls, bowling alleys, and arcades ever exist in Jap

Post by /Arcade »

Japan was the leader in the international arcade market during the early days of gaming and today still has one of the largest and most thriving arcade scenes in all of the world. With how ubiqitious karaoke is in Japan to the point even public schools as early as middle school have karaoke systems in the educational facility and practically every community even isolated farming villages and distant suburbs have at least business with a karaoke machine like the local bar or restaurant or community center and a lot of times even have a proper karaoke lounge........ And very alive arcade industry in the country......

I'm quite curious if coin-up arcade cabinets and other pay to use machines were common across public spaces such as dance clubs, country clubs, laundry mats, motels, and maybe even arcade venues? If so do they still exist today and why is there no focus on them (particularly in local pop media)? Did such kinds of pay cabinets exist outside of Japan too?

Also if pay-to-use machines till exist today, I assume that not only do they accept cash paper bills but also even pay by credit card? What inspired this question is I am in the local bowling alley right now which has an arcade and karaoke bar (that can be used for free). While we are actully bowling as I type this on my phone, I decided to take a break beforehands while my friends were taking there turn and went to a juke box and put in $5 to que 6 songs and came was I saw people nearby playing on arcade cabinets and an employee in the karaoke section tsting the microphone. So I began to wonder like 3 minutes ago if just like the jukebox I paid to for some songs, if pay-to-sing devices existed in bowling alleys in Japan too and same if they were in arcade and malls, etc. So were these ever a thing or not at all?
submitted by /u/CamelIllustrations
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/coinop/comment ... ic_places/
/Arcade

Return to “Arcade Cabinet Forum”