Temporary set up for ColecoVision on NES Classic

[Released: 2016] Licensed miniature replica NES that includes a static library of 30 built-in games supporting save states.

/classicNES
Bustin' Moves

Temporary set up for ColecoVision on NES Classic

Post by /classicNES »

I think I may have my own answer on how to play ColecoVision games on an NES Classic, and it took me two sleepless nights to figure out, for those of you who happen upon this page.

Hopefully one day there will be a tutorial video on how ColecoVision can be played on minis. But until that goes up (and by the way, this is the video you're seeing now showing ColecoVision being played on SNES Classic), let me tell you how I (after a couple of sleepless nights) finally got to play CV on my NES Classic. I will use the CV version of "Donkey Kong" as an example.

I have to assume you have installed the proper CV BIOS files into your system--while your NES Classic is hooked up to your PC, use Hakchi--go to Tools, then click Open FTP client, then go to the "etc" folder, then the "libretro" folder, then the "system" folder, and copy the appropriate ColecoVision BIOS roms into that "system" folder...I believe you should use the BIOS rom file called "ColecoVIsion.rom", not simply "Coleco.rom". Once you've done that, you should be OK to use CV games on your NES Classic. If I'm wrong, I hope KMFDManic will correct me in a future video.

At anytime during either the Splash Screen or the game, press the "Select" and "Start" buttons at the same time. They will then take you to a menu screen called "Quick Menu" (this is on the RetroArch settings). Scroll down until you get to "Controls" and click on that. It will then take you to the "Port 1 Controls" screen.

How you set them up depends upon the game, but for simplicity's sake (and for now) I set this up as a one-player format, since I have only one controller hooked up to my NES Classic so far.

On the Port 1 Controls page you will see the set ups on how to map your NES Classic controller to properly play CV games.

Mapped Port should be set to "1", Auto D-Pad Up should be set to "Joy Up", Auto D-Pad Down should be set to "Joy Down", D-Pad Left to "Joy Left", and D-Pad Right to "Joy Right". Auto A button (that is, representing Key X, but otherwise using the A button) should be set to "1/Coleco but. 1" (this is the equivalent to the left firing button on a regular ColecoVision controller), while Auto button (representing key Z, but otherwise using the B button) set to "2/Coleco but. 2" (same function as the right firing button on a regular ColecoVision controller).

When you get to "Auto: Select", set it to "4/Coleco 1" (equivalent to the 1 button on the keypad of a regular ColecoVision controller)--this will allow you to play a one-player game at the lowest level of play using your NES Classic controller with no problem. The rest of the button controls you leave blank.

Then exit out of the RetroArch screens until you return to where you started on the screen you left off. Reboot if necessary, and you will get the most out of your ColecoVision games on your NES Classic. Of course, other CV games are different and you may have to use different mapping settings. Also, not all games play like the set up I have for "Donkey Kong"...most CV games utilize the entire keyboard, so you might want to be careful there unless you really do have a better controller than the NES Classic one, like say, a SNES Classic controller or a gaming keyboard.

This info may be repeated elsewhere in the comments in at least one of the videos on YouTube. KMFDManic is planning an update to the core that will address the issue of keyboard pads, as well as support for SGM (Super Game Module). Other than that, "good luck"!
submitted by /u/backsox
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods ... s_classic/
/classicNES

Return to “NES Classic Edition Forum”