External ssd in use/warm when on idle

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

External ssd in use/warm when on idle

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hi, I have a Pi400 and the latest raspberry OS running from a sdcard. I have an ssd ub3 ssd attached (Crucial X9 Pro 4TB) for media use.

The ssd gets warm and its light is flashing constantly, even when the system is idle and not doing anything.

Can you help me debug this and help me putting the ssd to idle/sleep when not in use?

The pi4 is used as plexmediaserver, however for the purpose of this, I disabled the service, so there should be nothing running requiring access to that disk. It’s just the desktop idle.

Many thanks

Research: using iotop. Reading all posts that I can on reddit and the raspberry forum. smartctl data:

raspberry:~ $ sudo smartctl /dev/sda3 -a smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [aarch64-linux-6.1.0-rpi7-rpi-v8] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org === START OF INFORMATION SECTION === Vendor: Micron Product: CT4000X9PROSSD9 Revision: 1000 Compliance: SPC-4 User Capacity: 4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB] Logical block size: 512 bytes LU is resource provisioned, LBPRZ=1 Rotation Rate: Solid State Device Logical Unit id: 0x5000000000000001 Serial number: X Device type: disk Local Time is: Thu Dec 7 15:02:38 2023 GMT SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability. SMART support is: Disabled Temperature Warning: Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART Health Status: OK Current Drive Temperature: 0 C Drive Trip Temperature: 0 C Error Counter logging not supported Device does not support Self Test logging

trim working fine.

When unmounted, the ssd remains with flashing lights and temp appears to remain warm.
submitted by /u/varignet
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... n_on_idle/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”