External hdd suddenly started disconnecting at random?

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

External hdd suddenly started disconnecting at random?

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hey folks, struggling to figure this one out.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running the default Raspberry Pi OS. I'm using it as a Plex machine and have been having a great deal of success with it for about 4 months until yesterday, when out of nowhere the drives started suddenly disconnecting from the machine. I cannot emphasize enough that no settings or code was changed for at least a month of operation before this problem showed up, and the machine has turned on and off multiple times in that month long period.

They always disconnect/unmount all together, seemingly at random. The drives remain on/spinning, so they still seem to be connected to the Raspberry Pi, but they aren't showing up in the folder system or in Plex. A reboot appears to be the only way to fix the problem, as they all come back online together after the reboot.

I have four external hdd plugged into a powered USB hub, but two of the hdd also have their own external power. The problem persists regardless of if I have everything plugged in to the hub or only the non-powered hdd plugged into the hub and the powered hdd plugged into the Raspberry Pi. I don't see a similar issue happening when I plug them into my desktop, so I don't believe it's the drives failing, and I've tried this with two powered usb hubs so I don't think it's the hub.

Not super familiar with Linux, so if there's a command that spits out diagnostics or something I'm happy to see what it tells me.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: I managed to snag a syslog dump from right after another incident occured, but it's like a million lines long and I can't make heads or tails of it. Is there a way to share it here?
submitted by /u/ninepintcoggie
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... ecting_at/
/RaspberryPi

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”