Trying to Update an Action Replay Cartridge to Pseudo Saturn Kai

[Released: 1994] While it was popular in Japan, the Saturn failed to gain a similar market share in North America and Europe against its main competitors. The Saturn's dual-CPU architecture was the source of some difficulty for developers.

/saturn
Super Saiyan

Trying to Update an Action Replay Cartridge to Pseudo Saturn Kai

Post by /saturn »

I've got a Japanese Model 1 Sega Saturn, and it came with an Action Replay 4M Cartridge with Pseudo Saturn Version .832 installed on it. I wanted to play an American Sega Saturn game using it, The Need for Speed, and I would get the Error -1 when trying to boot the CD. To solve this, I've been trying to update to the most recent version of Pseudo Saturn Kai, but I haven't been able to get the cartridge to update. Anybody able to help me with what my problem might be? When I would try to update with a CD, all I would get is the Error -4 when attempting to boot the disc.

I've looked around older threads on here and I see people talk about things like flashing the cartridge and using a disc swap method, but I haven't done either of these things before. I did see this older thread that mentions booting the flasher utility without having a cartridge inserted, but I don't know how to do that.

Also as a side note, I'm using a Memorex Disc because that's what I happened to have available, and I did see someone else mention using a Maxell brand disc instead with greater success. But idk how much this really matters, and my only goal is to be able to play American games on a Japanese system.
submitted by /u/Samp98518
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/com ... tridge_to/

Return to “Sega Saturn Forum”