Original Xbox green/orange flashing light and smoke

[Released: 2001] The Xbox was Microsoft's first video game console after collaborating with Sega to port Windows CE to the Dreamcast console and was the first console offered by an American company after the Atari Jaguar stopped sales in 1996.

/xbox
Corporate

Original Xbox green/orange flashing light and smoke

Post by /xbox »

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well

I went to a flea market the other day and I noticed someone was selling a halo green edition Xbox so I got excited since he was only asking $20 and I purchased it immediately.

I took the console home and I plugged it in. It started flashing orange/green. After a few seconds I could hear what I can describe as some kind of boiling liquid sound and smoke started to come out of the Xbox.

Upon reading this forum, it appears that the green/orange flashing light might be simply from a missing AV cable ( I plugged the console without the AV cable). The smoke might be from a PSU capacitor or a short circuit. The console has been opened before (probably to install a mod chip).

If anyone has additional input please let me know. I will be opening up the console to “sniff” out the issue. If it’s just a fried PSU then I think that will be an easy fix as I can salvage a PSU from another Xbox.
submitted by /u/Dubaiman1122
[link] [comments]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/c ... and_smoke/
/xbox

Return to “Xbox Forum”