The Raspberry Pi era is over

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

The Raspberry Pi era is over

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Pi computers aren't coming back lets face it. Pi availability for individual customers is gone, and in my view, forever. Sure you can buy a 2040 and run some RGB LEDs... whoop-dee-do. Zero upwards... forget about it.
It's almost a year since they took $45 million in investment, and added their first outside shareholders. Raspberry Pi Ltd made the move to becoming a for profit business and switched to prioritising commercial and industrial customers. That's all well and good, but how this actually works when your entire cash flow is siphoned through a tax free charity is anybody's guess. If they are doing that, what happens when the Charity Commission and HM Revenue and Customs takes a look at their books?
They have turned their backs on the stated Pi Foundation aims and goals, making their claim on charity status tenuous and questionable at best. Even if they wanted to go back supplying individual customers, without the tax free cost advantage are they even going to be popular? It weird to me that nobody is asking these questions, and just considering the whole thing a temporary lull in supply. It isn't. In my opinion the Pi Foundation is finished. Money men have got their hooks into Raspberry Pi Ltd and it''s really not going to end well.
Still, it was a good run and I hope I'm wrong.

submitted by /u/random_usernames
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”