Pi 4 unstable SSD boot

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Pi 4 unstable SSD boot

Post by /RaspberryPi »

A while ago, I bought a Pi 4 with 8GB of RAM to replace my bigger, less efficient server. I'd like to run Home Assistant and a few other services on it.
I bought a 2TB SSD and an NVME-to-USB enclosure for it. Booting from USB was a breeze. However... the Pi isn't stable. After a certain time period (usually less than 24h), it seems like the SSD disconnects. Completely unusable except for the in-memory services (so some Home Assistant functions still work, but it's impossible to SSH into it)
What I've tried/more information:
  • Different OS. Started on Ubuntu, now I'm on Debian for Home Assistant
  • Bought a powered USB hub and connected the SSD through that: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B09NQ7LYXM/
  • Before I bought the USB hub, I did some stress testing (CPU load + disk load) to see if the pi would crash (while monitoring the power consumption). There was no instability there, so I had little faith the hub would work
  • The Pi itself isn't unstable. It ran perfectly fine for multiple months on an SD card, serving as a K3s master node
  • I'm using the official 5V/3A power supply. I also tried using a different power supply

Does anyone have any pointers for me?

submitted by /u/MadBull69
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”