Low-cost alternative for video playback

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

Low-cost alternative for video playback

Post by /RaspberryPi »

I'm working on a project where I want to embed a small (2-3") LCD 4:3 display with a speaker in a 3D printed case, with micro/USB C for power and potentially a potentiometer for volume control. I also plan to attach a small LED, ideally a bar that runs the width of the screen. The screen will just loop a short video clip (between 1 and 5 minutes long, ideally 60 fps but 30 is fine) when plugged in, and I don't need to change the clip after construction. I could do this with a Raspberry Pi, but I'm looking for an alternative for a few reasons:
  • cost - I don't need all of the pi's features, just video playback. A cheaper alternative would be good since I plan to make ~30+ units.
  • size - space is limited in the enclosure I'm designing, so it would be great if the driver board takes up as little space as possible. I have a Pi Zero 2 that I'm prototyping with now, but something with an even smaller length would be ideal.
  • availability - since I'd like to eventually order in bulk once the first unit is finalized, it would be great if I could order multiple units (30+).
Is there a low-cost alternative to a pi that could play video off a micro/SD card, or an onboard chip? Even a small board with an LCD driver and speaker in it already would be great.
Thanks!

submitted by /u/HolyHomeRun
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”