[Help needed] Input/output errors on NTFS SSD attached to RPI4

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

[Help needed] Input/output errors on NTFS SSD attached to RPI4

Post by /RaspberryPi »

I use my SSD to store media (and appdata) for apps like Plex installed on my RPI. For a while now Plex has been throwing up i/o error for files and I thought they were caused because I copied or deleted media from my Win11 laptop to RPI/SSD via SMB.
Since none of the fsck solutions online worked, I used to shutdown my pi, unplug the SSD and connect it to my laptop to do a chkdsk on my laptop. It used to spit out a lot of errors - corrupt files, corrupt entries, etc. (though no bad blocks).
I don't know what's causing this problem and how to fix it. One possibility is that the SSD is going bad, but I got no indication from any of the disk tools I ran on Windows. My other guess is that some of the read/writes done by RPI on the SSD might be failing causing the corruption of files (I don't think I have power fluxes on the rpi, but I can't absolutely rule it out since power adapters and cables aren't 100% reliable).
I can and would buy a new SSD, but, if its not the problem, then I am just recreating the same problem on a new SSD.
How can I stop this from happening and more importantly, how do I fix the errors/disk from rpi instead of plugging it to my laptop every few weeks?
Please help.

submitted by /u/raviwarrier
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”