No more audio through HDMI, headphone still working (3B+)

The Raspberry Pi is a series of credit card-sized single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and developing countries.

/RaspberryPi
Corporate

No more audio through HDMI, headphone still working (3B+)

Post by /RaspberryPi »

Hi everyone!
First of all, yes, HDMI is selected as audio output in raspi-config.
When I first flashed my Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Retropie, everything worked right out of the box. Sound came through the HDMI port and that's what I mostly used.
Until I used it with a speaker via the headphone jack. I switched to headphone jack, and it worked just fine. Then I tried switching back to HDMI - and nothing. No sound at all. Not in the games, but also not when I try speaker-test.
I thought I messed up some audio settings, so now I just flashed the SD-card again with the Raspberry Pi Imager to reset everything. But it still does not work.
I switched back and forth between headphone jack and HDMI in raspi-config, and only headphone jack works. Setting, hdmi_drive=2, a suggestion I often read, didn't help either. Of course I also tried it on multiple screens/TVs where it worked just fine in the past.
Any further ideas on what I could try?
And is there the technical possibility that some of the audio hardware got fried by a sketchy looking speaker? How could I rule out any hardware issues?
Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/Ireeb
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Raspberry Pi Forum”