In retrospect, it's crazy how many kids I knew with a SMS growing up!

[Released: 1985] One of the most unusual features of the Sega Master System is its dual media inputs: one cartridge slot and one card slot. The card slot accepted small cards about the size of a credit card.

/markiiisystem
Bustin' Moves

In retrospect, it's crazy how many kids I knew with a SMS growing up!

Post by /markiiisystem »

Hey all, old bastard here, I just found this sub and it has me reminiscing on my Master System and how it's totally crazy that I knew at least 4 other kids that had one! WTF!? I didn't realize how obscure it was to most people until recently. I grew up in Madera, CA. Nothing special about it, except perhaps the crazy high SMS ownership rate!
I remember going to target with my mom in Fresno to show her what an NES was so she could buy me one for christmas. I assume this was late 1986, so I would have been 10. When we got to the electronics section, I passed a demo display of the SMS running Choplifter. OMG it looked so much better than the NES! And Choplifter looked AMAZING! It's the best port of that game on ANY system, and I'll die on that hill. Anyway, I was in love, so I had her get that instead, and thus began my journey as a SEGA kid. ?
Somehow, the guys who would become my 2 best friends in the coming years would also end up with Master Systems. Later on in 8th grade I met another guy who had one, and he had a friend who had one, and I met that friend-of-a-friend one time and traded him some game I don't remember for Phantasy Star, no ****. First RPG I ever played. I love it and most of the series to death!
One of my friends would end up with a Sega CD and a 32x, both after they were discounted, but I never had those. However, I was the only one in the group that got a Game Gear. Woo hoo! (I had a Game Boy already, tbf)
Anyway, that's my story. I enjoyed telling it, so that's a win. :-)

submitted by /u/waldox1976
[link] [comments]

More...

Return to “Master System Forum”